Many Ways to Join
Select one of the methods below, and you'll be on your way to TENCU membership!
Have your personal information handy, including your valid driver's license or state ID*, email address, full address, social security number, current bank account information, and other personal information.
Once your enrollment is approved, you will be asked to make an initial minimum deposit of $5 to a savings (share) account. If you keep the $5 in your share account, you can remain a member with full membership opportunities no matter where you live or work.
You must be age 18 or older to apply online. If you are under 18, you must come to one of our branches to apply for membership with a parent or guardian.
*Important information about procedures for opening a new account: To help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities, federal law requires all financial institutions to obtain, verify, and record information that identifies each person who opens an account. What this means for you: When you open an account, we will ask for your name, address, date of birth, and other information that will allow us to identify you. We will require government-issued picture identification and retain a copy for identification purposes.
Am I Eligible?
Welcome to TENCU, a financial institution distinguished by its commitment to delivering optimal products and services tailored exclusively to our esteemed members. Discover the various ways through which you can embark on this journey of financial partnership with TENCU:
- Work at or retired from an educational entity in Tennessee, or are a current student or alumni.
- Work at or are retired from one of our 300+ employers, partner companies, and businesses in Tennessee.
- Relative or family member of a current TENCU Member.
- Live or work in Williamson, Sumner, or Hamblen Counties or in zip codes 37408, 37409, or 37410.
- Work for the City of Berry Hill, Gallatin, Morristown, New Johnsonville, or White House (TN).
- Work for a utility district in Tennessee or its commissioner.
There are additional ways to qualify for membership, including being a member of the PENCIL Foundation. Please contact us for more information.
TENCU is more than just a convenient place to bank. We take care of your financial needs by delivering services and products you can trust. We understand there are a lot of financial institution choices out there, so consider this:
- TENCU operates as a local not-for-profit credit union, ensuring that any surplus generated is returned to our valued member-owners. This commitment translates into tangible advantages, including reduced loan rates, elevated interest on deposits, and minimized fees.
- When you're a part of TENCU, you're more than a customer- you're a member and an owner. Our objective is to serve each member as a unique individual with distinct aspirations, needs, and ambitions.
- Our "people helping people" philosophy means that we are here for you, even during difficult economic times. It's okay to ask us for help.
- TENCU is an established, safe, and secure place for members to save, borrow, and grow financially.
- All of our employees live and work in the local community. We understand your needs because we share the same experiences, shop at the same stores, and live in your neighborhoods.
- At TENCU, you are more than a mere number – you are a valued individual. We take pride in knowing many members on a first-name basis, fostering a personalized and welcoming atmosphere.
- Whether it's face-to-face interactions, over-the-phone assistance, or online services, TENCU ensures an exceptional member experience. We are accountable for providing professional, courteous, and responsive service every day.
- Beyond transactions, we are devoted to nurturing your financial acumen. TENCU aids in empowering you as a well-informed consumer of financial services.
- We embrace technology to ensure our products and services are as robust, comprehensive, and competitive as much larger financial institutions.
- We give back to our communities by participating in local activities and charitable events that help build a strong community. We are Community Strong & Tennessee proud.
About Credit Unions
What is a Credit Union?
A not-for-profit financial institution that doesn't answer to stockholders, just our members' best interests.
Credit Unions vs. Banks
Credit unions aren't your average financial institution. Learn the differences.
Your Money is Safe
Federally insured credit unions like TENCU offer a safe place to save money.